Thursday 1 October 2009

knackered

apologies these postings are coming so erratically but by the end of the day after talking and driving back and forth I have something to eat and I'm asleep in bed... only to be woken by my roomie at 3.30 typing away trying to finish her script in time for her meeting..
Wednesday was a fantastic day with a meeting with an LA manager who talked us through how they work as opposed to an agent. They sound very hands on - almost your own editor - with a sales head attached. He's already taken on one of the ex-students and got them a deal and a commission for asecond feature. He advised keeping in a 'box' of genre for a year or two so the town know what you're good at before branching out to your Zombie Rom-Com. He takes 10% but is as hands on as you need...He was also a rare species that take on writers who don't live in LA.
I then had a wonderful lunch with the producer of A PALACE DIVIDED that was shown on ABC years ago with Catherine Oxenburg and Roger Rees as Diana and Charles and me as Fergie.. (weirdly another of the writers on this trip played Fergie in a Fergie and Andrew biopic for NBC). Larry cheered me up no end by getting excited about my projects and saying 'okay Tracy, show me what you got..' It was also pretty exciting that Angelica Huston came to say hello to Larry and we had a chat...
This was followed by a couple of meetings at Century City. I was shocked at the first one as after the pitch the exec offered me a book, saying they were looking for someone to adapt it and if my script was any good, we might talk. I then went down the corridor to another company with a totally different mind set and had to pitch my political stuff rather than comedy Rom-Com...gear change...! He seemed interested and asked for samples and treatments. Keep the faith. Meanwhile back to my chick-lit...

No comments:

Post a Comment